Monday 30 January 2012

The Meat Keeper



About The Meat Keeper

392 Remuera RoadAucklandNew Zealand

In my travels as a chef here in New Zealand as well as overseas I have always loved finding unique food related places and the other week I was out with Debbie from Tastes Divine we popped into see The Meat Keeper, a Butchery located in Remuera Road.

Walking thought the door I was very impressed with the quality of the meat on display. What attracted my eye straight away was the beef. It is some of the best looking beef I have seen in a while and I soon found why.

The Meat Keeper is New Zealand’s only retail seller of Savannah Angus Beef which was originally from Scotland. I have cooked Savannah many times with and every time that I do I am reminded why Angus is one of most famous of all beef cattle breeds for its meat. Savannah Angus Beef is renowned for its tenderness, succulence and taste and all round great eating and is served at many of the best restaurants and eateries in New Zealand and around the world. 

The meat is aged for a minimum of three weeks to one month. What this length of aging does is to increase the level of tenderness and this gives the Savannah Angus beef it's unique flavour. There are many great recipes available on the Beef & Lamb New Zealand recipe site at www.recipe.co.nz. Here are a few of my picks from Beef & Lamb New Zealand’s beef recipes.

Festive Roast Beef   

Roast Scotch Fillet of Beef with Mushroom Sauce & Roast Potatoes
Spiced Beef Kebabs

They also carry Harmony free range pork which has the SPCA Blue Tick Certification.
There is also a great range of free range chicken, Raukumara wild venison, Waikato Lamb and their own, handmade selection of small goods.

All of their sausages are Gluten free but what struck me is that there was no signage to say this. Its just a fact, so when you go there Rob’s sausages will always be Gluten free.

For those who live in Auckland or visit Auckland The Meat Keeper is a place to go for just the best selection of meats. Like his Facebook page to keep up with whats going on.

392 Remuera Road, Auckland, New Zealand 1050 

Phone 09 5202639

Hours           Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Sat             8:30 am – 3:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment